Journalist Jane Utting enjoys the quiet life on the sleepy Greek island of Paxos and chooses ten of the things one must do when in Paxos.
Read full article in http://www.express.co.uk/
Τen things to do in Paxos:
1. See traditional Greek dancing at Mongonissi’s beach taverna.
2. Watch the sunset from the Erimitis Bar and Restaurant, found at the end of a winding clifftop road near Magazia.
3. Ogle the luxury yachts over a cinnamon-custard pastry at Café Aveois in Gaios.
4. Buy olive oil – extracted by ancient stone presses – direct from producers in Paxos.
5. Donate spare change in the bright blue PAWS (Paxos Animal Welfare Society) boxes and help keep the island’s cats healthy.
6. Picnic on Erimitis beach, created after a landslide in 2008. It’s a long hike down and ends with steep steps. Alternatively, you can get there by boat.
7. Buy a map and wander the many old goat tracks, discovering forgotten villages hidden by gnarled olive trees.
8. Hop on a boat for a trip to the best view of the towering limestone Tripitos Arch.
9. Visit Ben’s Bar on Monodendri Beach, a laid-back, café-restaurant with sunloungers and deckchairs that’s near a popular snorkelling spot.
10. Catch a recital during the annual Paxos Music Festival, which takes place this year between August 29 and September 6 (paxosfestival.org.uk).